Congressional Representatives Larson (CT-1) and Rooney (FL-17) co-sponsored an amendment to the FY15 NDAA to improve access to ABA under TRICARE for military beneficiaries with developmental disabilities. It was passed by a voice vote Wednesday night (May 21st).
A similar bill, the Caring for Military Children with Developmental Disabilities Act of 2014 (S. 2333), was introduced in the Senate last week by Senators Murray (WA), Blunt (MO), Gillibrand (NY), and Rubio (FL). The current efforts
- Advocates are working on a similar amendment strategy (for the Senate version of the NDAA) in the Senate, but need your support and action. To voice your support for the Senate bill, please contact your Senators and ask that they co-sponsor S. 2333. Here are some ways that you can find and contact your Senators:
- Autism Speaks has prepared an action alert where you can send your Senator an email. It suggests the language for an email to your Senators that you can modify or personalize.
- The GovTrack.us website has the Senate version of the amendment tracked. You can set up email alerts so that you know what happens to this legislation, or click the button to Call Congress and the site will walk you through identifying and calling your Senators.
- Look up your Senator’s contact information on the U.S. Senate website. Contact information can be found on the individual Senator’s website.
- If the bill passes in the Senate, it will go to conference committee for resolution between the two versions.
We will do our best to keep you updated as we find out more information. If you’d like to leave a comment on this post below, you can be notified by email as we update this post with further information about the progress of this effort.