Sensory Challenges and Sensible Solutions
Friday, November 13, 2015
Doors Open 8:15 am
Conference 9 am to 4:45 pm
Holiday Inn Solomons
155 Holiday Dr.
Solomons, MD 20688
Early Bird Registration: June 8 – September 1, 2015: $45
Registration: September 2 – October 29, 2015: $55
(Includes continental breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack and a copy of Growing an In-Sync Child: Simple, Fun Activities to Help Every Child Develop, Learn, and Grow by Carol Kranowitz and Joye Newman.)
Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD), a condition in which the brain has trouble receiving and responding to information that comes in through the senses, gets in children’s way — and in their families’ and teachers’ way, too. This presentation for parents, educators, therapists, and other professionals will review how SPD plays out at home and school and how to recognize underlying sensory issues. The program will offer sensory strategies and fun and functional “In-Sync” activities, which benefit ALL kids in the family and classroom.
Session 1 Sensory Processing and Sensory Processing Disorder
Session 2 More about SPD’s effect on development and learning
Session 3 Associated problems; interesting research; growing up with SPD
Session 4 Fun and functional activities
About the Speaker:
Carol Stock Kranowitz, M.A., observed many children with SPD and mild autism during her 25-year career as a music and movement teacher at St. Columba’s Nursery School in Washington, DC . Today, she speaks internationally about SPD’s effect on children’s learning and behavior and how families and teachers can help. Her first book in the “Sync” series, The Out-of-Sync Child, was recently selected by Brain,Child magazine as one of the top ten books about children with disabilities. Carol’s new book, The Out-of-Sync Child Grows Up, will be published in 2016. Carol graduated from Barnard College and earned her M.A. in Education and Human Development from George Washington University. She lives in Bethesda, plays the cello, and has five grandchildren.
By phone: Call 240-561-8860.
REGISTRATION UPDATE: As of October 10, 2015, online and mail-in registrations are closed. To register by phone, please call 240-561-8860. Phone registration will continue until seating is full.
Registration Notes and Due Dates
- Payment by Visa/MC or Check (subject to returned check fee). NO REFUNDS.
- Requests for special accommodations no later than October 29, 2015.
- The last day to register is October 29, 2015.
- NO WALK-IN REGISTRATIONS.
- Registration questions may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Conference questions may be directed to Sue Rafalowski at 410-535-7387 / ParentConnections@calvertnet.k12.md.us
- For accommodations at the Holiday Inn Solomons:
- Call 1-800-356-2009
- Visit www.hisolomons.com by October 23, 2015. Use Group Code TCP.
- A limited number of Ms. Kranowitz’s books will be available to purchase.
Registrations are closed for this event.