Registration for the Jed Baker Conference is OPEN online, by phone, or by mail. (Mail must by postmarked by Nov. 4, 2014.)
Updates: We added more seats to Dr. Baker’s Conference.
We will be taking registrations by phone through 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, November 11th. (The phone line is back up and running. Thank you for your patience.)
Online Registration works great!
Registration will remain open until we reach capacity or Dr. Baker starts talking!
Hear Dr. Baker’s presentation!
Stay to the end for giveaways and door prizes!
Bring cash, check, or credit to purchase more of Dr. Baker’s books and tickets for fabulous raffle baskets (proceeds to benefit next year’s conference)!
Students on the autism spectrum and those with behavioral challenges, including NLD, ADHD, Bipolar disorder, and multiple learning disabilities, often present with difficulty regulating their feelings and interacting socially. This workshop describes how to handle meltdowns and design effective behavior plans to prevent these moments and reduce frustration and anxiety. It also details strategies to motivate students to learn, ways to teach social skills, how to generalize skills into the natural setting and increase acceptance and tolerance from peers. Information will be imparted though lecture, interactive exercises, and video clips.
- Understanding Challenging Behaviors in children with Aspergers, Autism, NLD, ADHD, Bipolar disorder, and multiple learning disabilities
- Hierarchy of Behavior/Frustration Management Strategies:
- Relationship building and collaborative problem solving
- De-escalating meltdowns
- 7 common triggers and prevention plans for each trigger
- Social Skills Training
- Prioritizing skill goals
- Motivation for training
- Skill acquisition: strategies to teach skills
- Generalization strategies
- Peer sensitivity training
- Measuring progress
- Q&A as time permits
Jed Baker, Ph.D., is the director of the Social Skills Training Project, an organization serving individuals with autism and social communication problems. He is on the professional advisory board of Autism Today, ASPEN, ANSWER, YAI, the Kelberman Center and several other autism organizations. In addition, he writes, lectures, and provides training internationally on the topic of social skills training and managing challenging behaviors. He is an award-winning author of six books, including Social Skills Training for Children and Adolescents with Aspergers Syndrome and Social Communication Problems; Preparing for Life: The Complete Handbook for the Transition to Adulthood for Those with Autism and Aspergers Syndrome; The Social Skills Picture Book; The Social Skills Picture Book for High School and Beyond; No More Meltdowns: Positive Strategies for Managing and Preventing Out-of-Control Behavior; and No More Victims: Protecting those with Autism from Cyber Bullying, Internet Predators & Scams. His work has also been featured on ABC World News, Nightline, Fox News, the CBS Early Show, and the Discovery Health Channel.
This workshop is brought to you by the Southern Maryland Collaborative for Families of Children with Disabilities:
- Partners for Success Centers (Calvert, Charles, & St. Mary’s Counties)
- Special Education Citizens’ Advisory Committee (Calvert & Charles Counties)
- Citizens’ Advisory Committee for Special Education (St. Mary’s County)
- Autism Spectrum Support Group of Southern Maryland
- Learning Disabilities Association of St. Mary’s County
- Promise Resource Center
- The Parents’ Place of Maryland
The Jed Baker Conference 2014 Flyer, including mail-in registration form, may be viewed or downloaded here: